About GPU mode for desktop

Hello, I have made a few games using GPU mode with great results on iOS and Android.

Now I want to publish one of the games on Steam, but I can’t get GPU mode on desktop, and using Direct mode the performance is horrible.

So my question is, is there any way possible to use GPU mode on a desktop app? Any Workarounds?

Thanks!

hey, GPU mode is the kind of feature that Adobe wanted to remove at some time
and is considered “deprecated” for he desktop.

So far you have 2 things you can try

• try Autodesk Scaleform
    it is a custom runtime, I think you can publish on the desktop with it
    and have something similar to GPU acceleration
    you should be able to try out the demo, but then to use it you will have to pay
  • port your game to Starling
    which use Direct mode and Stage3D
    that’s what is supported and improved over time by Adobe

And yeah I understand the GPU mode can have great result on mobile, but voila it is only for mobile.

Thanks for the reply. I tried Scaleform about a year ago and their bitmap draw and copy pixel were really buggy at that time. I’ll give it a new try and see if they’ve updated it.

The game uses a lot of large parallax full screen bitmaps and I have not been able to get the same 60fps frame rate when using Starling. With Starling I always get some small frame drops when several new large bitmap enters the screen that never happens in GPU mode.

Does anyone know if GPU mode were available in an older AIR release? Maybe that can be a solution?

With Starling, the issue may be with how the images are being loaded.

The most efficient way to load in image assets for Starling, is in ATF spritesheets. For desktop, you’d use a pixel format of DTX5 (or DTX1 if alpha isn’t required).

Use the Starling AssetManager to import these at runtime, don’t embed them. Textures can be referenced by many things simultaneously (similar to how BitmapData works), in Starling’s case you would usually use a container like an Image or MovieClip if it’s a sequence, to reference Textures.

Then, when these elements enter the screen, overhead should be relatively low. It’s simply a case of having a container like an Image or MovieClip reference Textures that are already loaded in the GPU.