Air 33 to Google Play process (using Animate)

Hi folks, it’s late here and I’ve just tried out the Air 33 sdk from Harman. It published fine but I’m still getting the error message from Google Play (it’s a new app).

Andrew from Harman says it needs to override Arm7 to Arm8.

He said to create a text file called: adt.cfg

The text inside just reads this: “OverrideArch=armv8” (“speech marks” or no speech marks needed?)

I dropped it inside the lib folder and republished, but the app was still rejected.

Anyone used Animate to submit a new app with Air 33?

Thanks and chat in the morning!

Same problem I have with Animate…hope it´s solved.

As a general measure I would advise to people building with Animate CC
to learn to build from the command-line.

I get it Animate is easy and command-lien scare you etc.
but you will get less headache building stuff
and you will understand exactly what is going on

As a side note, you also have the many command-line tools from the Android SDK

• apkanalyzer

The command-line version of APK Analyzer provides immediate insight into the composition of your APK after the build process completes, and allows you to compare differences between two APKs.

• bundletool

After you build your Android App Bundle, you should test how Google Play uses it to generate APKs and how those APKs behave when deployed to a device. There are two ways you should consider testing your app bundle: locally using the bundletool command line tool and through Google Play by uploading your bundle to the Play Console and using a test track. This page explains how to use bundletool to test your app bundle locally.

• apksigner

The apksigner tool, available in revision 24.0.3 and higher of the Android SDK Build Tools, allows you to sign APKs and to confirm that an APK’s signature will be verified successfully on all versions of the Android platform supported by those APKs. This page presents a short guide for using the tool and serves as a reference for the different command-line options that the tool supports. For a more complete description of how the apksigner tool is used for signing your APKs, see the Sign your app guide.

and many more tools …

Can you confirm that I have to use the command line just to publish the app to Google?

I have a very simple app for a client that I need to publish by the end of the week, and no clue how to use the command line.

I’ll ask Andrew later, but if anyone has done this from Animate the normal way, please post here!

nope
you don’t give enough details about your setup and config etc.

In this thread, @zwetan helped me tremendously to get started with compilation using ant. Check it out.

https://discuss.as3lang.org/t/adobe-air-android-with-2-swfs-questions

Thanks guys. Amazing of Zwetan to give up so much of his time - looks like a 10,000 word essay!

It does look like I’ll have to learn to use the ADT, but I’ll confirm with Andrew later.

and some time in the future books (with an ‘s’ for plural)

if you need it fast yes the command-line will help
as you will be able to try/test the freshest SDK things

if you have time just wait for Harman/Adobe to iron out
the little issues with Animate CC and other IDE

think also it is summer, probably a good time to go on holidays for dev too

so for learning the command-line, you can find many free tutorials online
but if you want to invest some money in a book I would advise this one

bhcldev_xlargecover

Small, Sharp Software Tools
Harness the Combinatoric Power of Command-Line Tools and Utilities
from The Pragmatic Bookshelf

Disclaimer:
this is not paid promotion, I did buy this book
I find it very well organised, it delivers the good info fast,
and the explanations are very clear.

Thanks Zwetan :sweat_smile:

*** PROGRESS (with no ADT needed) ***

Andrew from Harman has been very helpful - I think we’re nearly there.

The idea is that we need to make 2 Apk files. A 64bit and 32 bit version.

1. To make the 64 bit Apk you drop the text file named adt.cfg into the lib folder in Air 33. The code inside is this:

DefaultArch=armv8
OverrideArch=armv8

1. When I published this to my phone I go an error in Animate (but this is because my phone is a 32 bit phone)

To check it’s made a 64bit version you can rename the .apk to .zip > open it and check the lib folder. This should show a folder arm64-v8a

1. Then, to make the 32 bit version just take the adt.cfg file out of the lib folder and republish it with a name like MyApp_32bit

2. I now have 2 apk files for Google. But what next? How do I combine the 2 files to upload? I’ve tried zipping and uploading both at the same time, but it seems to just save 1 file.

2 Likes

I now have 2 apk files for Google. But what next?

You’ll need to read this. It explains how to publish separate apks (1 for 32bit 1 for 64bit)
In essence you upload both separately but they must have different app version numbers.
eg
1.0.2 is 64bit
1.0.1 is 32bit

Note: AIR doesn’t yet output an Android App Bundle which is a package containing both.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that. By chance my version numbers were the other way around, so maybe I was unlucky!

Thanks Tuarua - this trick actually worked! Crazy that we’ve had to jump through these hoops without any guide. Has been a few days of trial and error…

• note: Both of my Apk files targeted the same Api (min 19, target 28)
  • the 32/64bit difference was enough for Google to accept the files to production.

It would still be worth testing some downloads from Google Play on different devices to see if the right Apk is served to the right phone!

Cheers,
Matt

2 Likes

Super helpful, thanks a lot. Hope this is wrote somewhere everybody doing Animate apps can know about it, or even have the files and everithing ready, because I´m sure 90% people doing apps in animate doesn´t know about it.

1 Like

However…

I managed to send off 2 Apk files, but Google rejected it.

The rejection email was sent to my client who is on holiday. So I’m in limbo!

It might be because of this software thing, or it might be because of some small, petty thing. I’ll report back when I find out.

A frustrating week. Just glad I’m not paying for this SDK yet!

Yes, it´s very frustating, hope Adobe or Harman solve this issue soon.

1 Like

It is not related to Adobe or Harman, it is a Google problem

iOS or Android you are in a walled garden, they (Apple or Google) can change the rules any time they want

for example: Google Warns Developers That All New Android Apps Require 3 Days for Approval

The other part of the problem is some dev who ignored for a long time how compilers work and when it get slightly more complicated they panic.

1 Like

Yep, it seems Google and Apple just like people developers use their tools, Angular, Swift… They got so jealous of the power of AIR back in 2010 they just wanted to something alike since then…but they haven´t managed to develop something even close regarding the integration of graphics and code.

They just made the web less fun. I remember the time most companies had a fun site done in Flash, now is everything so gridded and boring…

1 Like

Yes, I agree! Websites are now just rigid templates that all look the same…

** So it turned out that after all this work, Google rejected my app because of a petty reason - it was simply refused from the ‘Designed for families’ section. The email didn’t even give a good reason. I’ll make sure I won’t tick that box again…

And it looks like I have to submit new Apks just to resubmit. It makes me mad! Their guidelines and ridiculous submission process has become so over complex. I never thought I’d say this but Apple’s process is new way better than Google’s. Apart from client apps I think this does it for me - I will stop publishing my own apps to Google Play full stop.

1 Like

*** There are actually bugs on the Google Console. I’m using Firefox. Maybe I didn’t need to resubmit new Apks, because at the bottom of the ‘Store Listing’ Page there is a tickbox for Privacy Policy. By toggling this on and off I managed to get the Resubmit button to turn blue. Insane!

1 Like