updated: Nov 16, 2017
and now we got an AIR 28 beta
check the new release notes
looky the new features
Swift based ANE Support in AIR (iOS/tvOS)
Starting AIR 28, developers will be able to use Swift based ANE for iOS/tvOS. Developers can also use iOS/tvOS based Dynamic Frameworks
while packaging the application for respective iOS/tvOS platforms. Dynamic Frameworks signing will be done while packaging the application.
iOS SDK Upgrade
AIR Runtime is now built with iOS 11 SDK, which enables AIR developers to use ANEs built with iOS 11 APIs without using the –platformSDK
switch while packaging with ADT. With iOS 11 SDK, Apple has mandated inclusion of a few icons in the application
Localization of permission purpose strings on iOS
Starting AIR 28, developers can provide localized purpose strings for the permissions required in the application. Developers are required to
package an xml file called purposeStrings.xml in the application.
Android SDK Upgrade
Beginning AIR 28, Android SDK has been upgraded in the AIR Runtime. Here is the list of version numbers of the tools upgraded in AIR 28.
There have been significant changes in the tools used to build the runtime. Raise your issues on AIR user forums if you observe any performance
or functional issues.
Android TV Support
With AIR 28, Android TV support for AIR Android applications comes with more stability and improvements.
Developers can develop captive runtime applications that are also compatible with Android TV. Use swf-version 31 or greater and namespace
20.0 or greater to access this feature. The two tags mentioned below needtobeadded in the app.xml file to support Android TV applications.
Support for embed bitcode in iOS/tvOS
ADT supports a new option -embedBitcode to add bitcode in your iOS and tvOS applications.
Apple TV support (Beta Quality)
We have made some enhancements to tvOS support. For more information, see the Release Notes specific to this feature. AIR Runtime is now
builtwithtvOS 11 SDK, which enables AIR developers to use ANEs builtwithtvOS 11 APIs without using the –platformSDK switch of ADT.
AIR Desktop - Audio Device Manager ActionScript API
The Audio Device Manager ActionScript API was added in Flash Player 27. This functionality is now enabled in AIR starting from AIR 28 for
Desktop only. This API provides the functionality of selecting audio output devices. AIR app developer should build their own UI to list the
available audio devices in a system and select the device for playback.
AIR Desktop- Support for selection of GPU preference in multi-GPU system
Till AIR 27, there was no option in AIR to set the preference for use of either of the GPU types. It uses the default GPU type as set by the OS:
integrated GPU on Windows and the discrete GPU on Mac OS X.
- Flash Builder quits unexpectedly on High Sierra when “Export release build” is selected from the Project menu.
- GESTURE_PAN event is not triggered on Mac
- Some rendering issues related to direct render mode are known for e.g. BitmapData, CacheAsBitmap, cacheAsBitmapMatrix, Perspectiv
eTransform and related areas.
- [Android] Stage shift offset error on StageText focus (AIR-4198421)
- [Android] Banner.png is missing from apk packaged for Android TV
- [Android] Camera miniature display at top-left corner when StageVideo video playback (AIR-4130641)
- [Mac] Flash Player NCP is not launched from system preferences when NPAPI Flash Player is installed
- AIR runtime quits unexpectedly after graphics.readGraphicsData when graphics.readGraphicsData is called.(AIR-4198466)
- Initiating multiple workers simultaneously causes the application to quit unexpectedly.(AIR-4198267)
- Anti-aliasing on retina OS X desktop display fails/degrades when Context3D backBuffer is set to 1024x768 or greater.(AIR-4198319)
- Bitmap glitches are observed while drawing pixels(AIR-4198453)
- [iOS] Artifacts are observed when child Sprite is near bottom of screen (AIR-4198445)
- [iOS] ADT to correctly sign dynamic frameworks included packaged with iOS app (AIR-4198407)
- [iOS] ADT to correctly sign dynamic frameworks (AIR-4198408)
- [IOS] AIR 23 and newer: Compilation failed while executing : compile-abc - Class (…) could not be found. (AIR-4198225)
- [iOS] StageWebView does not load nor display local HTML content (AIR-4198420)
- Improving capabilities.language behavior for Android and iOS
- [iOS] Launch image issues on iPad Pro
- [Android] Error #3672: Buffer creation failed when using drawToBitmapData (Context3D) while using VideoTexture (AIR-4198290)
- [Android] No data from “android.intent.action.SEND” Intent on Android (AIR-4197491)
- Rotate Image Camera IMAGE Mobile Android/IOS (AIR-4167837)
- [iOS] Interfaces don’t function on iOS when shared between swf’s (AIR-4194914)
- [iOS] Apps created using Flex in AOT mode crashes (AIR-4198266)
Again kudos to Adobe AIR team for bringing tons of features and fixes