Difficulty of creating Iphone apps

Anybody else finds it much more difficult to create an app for iPhone that for Android in Air or any other technology?

Have to pass so many processes and validations…I don´t understand why they don´t make it simpler, it really stops me from doing apps for iPhone.

It’s not just iPhone apps …

In general, I would say it become more and more harder to build apps for all the platforms (and in those I include the web too), and also more expensive in money AND time.

Simply put the publishing part is the main weak point: packaging, signing, unzipping, modifying some stuff, rezipping, resigning, etc.

I would advice to spend the time at the very start of the project to automate it all on the command-line to ease the pain, eg. do not hesitate to spend 1 or 2 weeks automating it all, it is not time wasted.

publish, test, rinse and repeat till you got all the different points validated.

1 Like

Hi Kaleco, assuming you might not be using the command line (I don’t), and maybe just Animate. I started out as a designer making apps many years ago:

You are probably talking about Apple’s process of publishing apps. This is always difficult at the start, but once you set up your certificates the process gets very easy.

I just make one Distribution.p12 file as my main cert. Then I use one Ad Hoc profile for all my apps for testing on the device. I then make Distribution profiles for all my apps and when I publish to the App Store I just switch to one of those profiles and use the same password.

Apple’s Portal (App Store Connect) is now extremely slick. There are no bugs or anything. I find Google’s Console over complicated and buggy. I also rarely make apps for Android on Google Play anymore because the sales are nearly non-existant. iOS at least has potential for selling apps.

The only painful part of making Apps for Apple is that the screenshots take ages if you publish to both iPad and iPhone. Also things like videos have to be in exactly the right size. But both Apple and Google now have strict rules. Google has become far worse though - ridiculous!

Here is my latest app, all made in Animate and Adobe software:

Flourish - Lettering Craft

Matt

2 Likes

Thanks a lot flashmatt, very complete information and very helpful, will see how I do.

Depending on platform specifics your app works with and how close your app UI looks on diferent platforms, you can make app screenshots easily on Windows or Mac directly from your app.
Since I’m mostly making all my projects crossplatform and UI looks the same, I’m using small code snippet:

import flash.events.KeyboardEvent;
import flash.display.BitmapData;
import flash.utils.ByteArray;
import flash.filesystem.FileStream;
import flash.filesystem.File;

stage.addEventListener(KeyboardEvent.KEY_UP, executeAppShot);
function executeAppShot(event:KeyboardEvent):void{
	if(event.keyCode == Keyboard.F5){
		var ba:ByteArray = new ByteArray();
		var bdata:BitmapData = new BitmapData(stage.stageWidth, stage.stageHeight, false);
		bdata.draw(stage);
		bdata.encode(new Rectangle(0,0,bdata.width,bdata.height), new flash.display.JPEGEncoderOptions(100), ba); 

var appShotFile:File = File.desktopDirectory.resolvePath("_screenshots/" + stage.stageWidth + "x" + stage.stageHeight + "/" + (new Date().time + ".jpg"));
		var fs:FileStream = new FileStream();
		fs.open(appShotFile, "write");
		fs.writeBytes(ba);
		fs.close();
	}
}

All you need is to change initial stage size to some of the needed devices screen sizes and after you run the app you’ll need to manualy resize your window for bigger screen sizes to be able to navigate through the app (just be sure your last resize is resizing of the window width!).

Thanks for the code Malac, I’ll try it out. But I usually make promo screenshots with text captions and logos etc, so there’s no way around that :thinking:

you can also do that for mobile from the emulators or ADL

and you can also have a “screenshot runner” mode that navigate for you key screens of your app