Thank you, @zwetan! Indeed, there is a long story behind this development. And it started 2 years ago, on the 3rd of June 2017. Before that I was making my “game of a dream”, Strategilization, but I felt that I was facing a mental wall. So, I decided to run a quick game jam for myself to make something fresh and to have my brains reset.
I looked through Google Play top new games and noticed that the fidget spinners were very popular at that time. And also I was aware of another big trend, idle games, which play by themselves, even while the player is away.
I never clone popular mechanics, so, I used the concepts of spinning and idling, and added there my long-lasting love to steampunk genre, thus, deciding to make a game about spinning cogwheels, which can get connected and increase their rotation speed.
To stay productive I used, for the first time, additional lifehack. I started recording the whole process: coding, art creation, testing. Later on I published the development timelapse 1:60 video to Youtube.
After the first 3 days of development I felt that the idea has the potential, so I continued making it. After the first week there were 48 hours of pure work the alpha testing on Google Play started.
The players also liked the idea and started giving valuable suggestions. I had to rebuild the game core to integrate them, and started improving Steampunk Idle Spinner (this is how the original game is called) through all the 2017. The basic game idea was travelling across various steampunk dimensions, exploring them and building there incredible machines.
But by the end of 2017 I felt that the current version of the game core was not enough to cope with growing players’ suggestions (and they were very useful, like, the ability to move machines or handle resources flows). Fearing to break what’s already working I made the 4th game world, “Assembly line” as a separate game, “Engineer Millionaire” and launched its testing, too.
I always pay much attention to game performance, here’s one player’s tweet, which makes me feel particularly proud (it says: “I wanted to make the game lag, but I failed”) : https://t.co/UWnLskl7YR
By now I’ve spent more than 1000 hours on this project. I understand that this is developers’ community, and my main aim to post here is to show what things can be made with AIR. I participate in the game shows much and I really like the surprise expression on the audience faces when I tell that the game was made with AIR
BTW, thank you, I recall that I was changing my site to work with www and without it, but looks like I forgot something.