Flash Player NPAPI for Linux is back

on the Adobe AIR and Adobe Flash Player Team Blog
Beta News – Flash Player NPAPI for Linux

some extracts and comments :slight_smile:

Today we are updating the beta channel with Linux NPAPI Flash Player by moving it forward and in sync with the modern release branch (currently version 23). We have done this significant change to improve security and provide additional mitigation to the Linux community.

Yeah Adobe is giving back some love to Linux, pretty interesting.

When you see the current Flash Player plugin versions per browser
https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Adobe could have gone the easy way and only update the NPAPI plugin from v11.2 to v18.0
but they went beyond that and decided to really go to v23.0, wow!

And it’s continue (emphasis mine)

In the past, we communicated that NPAPI Linux releases would stop in 2017. This is no longer the case and once we have performed sufficient testing and received community feedback, we will release both NPAPI and PPAPI Linux builds with their major version numbers in sync and on a regular basis.

Ok now I’m thinking, is this hide something ?
it is almost unbelievable

I mean, they did plan to stop development in 2017, and they revert completely their stance.
You may wonder what motivated such decision?

Maybe something not announced yet ? well… we’ll see in due time :smile:

So yeah NPAPI is a bit old, but if you put the efforts into it you can do great stuff with it.

WTF am I talking about ?

Remember something like Screamweaver ?

In short, with NPAPI, you can “embed” directly the Flash Plugin into a native window, without any browser.

see for example this Stack Overflow convo
Hosting Flash won’t load swf ressources (xml, image, etc.)
Ok it is C for Linux (maybe not your cup of tea), but this kind of stuff is much easier than working with stuff like Electron or CEF, to then run a full browser to load an HTML and then load a SWF.

Also, the same kind of code can be done for Windows and Mac OS X,
it kind of work like an exe projector (without being that exactly).

Anyway it is an interesting way to follow in term of “I need to embed my SWF in something that works on Linux”.

But it’s not only that, now that we gonna have both a separate release of NPAPI and PPAPI Flash Player plugin for Linux it may lead to other stuff like

• a standalone Flash Player for Linux
  • and so be able to export again exe projector for Linux
    eg. an exe embedding the plugin without having to install it
  • an upgraded version of Adobe AIR for Linux ?

and these

Because this change is primarily a security initiative, some features (like GPU 3D acceleration and premium video DRM) will not be fully implemented.

I can totally live with that :smile:
I would rather be able to publish an app for linux even if slower (no GPU acceleration)
then not be able at all to publish for Linux (or use convoluted solutions).

For app developers who work with ActionScript 3.0 an “easy” way to publish to Linux, even if the market share is low, is a pretty big deal, it allows to propose stuff like

• chat / audio / video clients (Slack clone for ex)
  • 2D video games (on Steam maybe)
  • build GUI app for command-line tools
  • and tons of other things

It’s not that app dev will focus on only publishing to Linux, but when they build their apps they will definitively take Linux into account as another target to publish for.

From “My app is available for Windows, Mac OS X”
to “My app is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux”

This has a bit more of oomph don’t you think :slight_smile:?

Extended Flash Player 23 beta for Linux
Some Thoughts on the HTML Target for AIR

Thx for this post ! :smiley:

I also saw the news.
In fact, I don’t care about FP (on my case) but this could lead to an updated version of AIR for Linux. Very exciting !
OMHO, the “security reason” was just to not admit that they revert their decision to Linux but honestly I don’t care the reason :smiley:
Also MS (with Office, SQL Server, etc …) and other player seems that see Linux with other eyes.