Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Build an Open Source Browser Based on AIR
Let's Build a Web Browser

well… considering the importance of the news, that would deserve to put all the text, so here we go

FLASH & THE FUTURE OF INTERACTIVE CONTENT (JULY 25, 2017)

Adobe has long played a leadership role in advancing interactivity and creative content – from video, to games and more – on the web. Where we’ve seen a need to push content and interactivity forward, we’ve innovated to meet those needs. Where a format didn’t exist, we invented one – such as with Flash and Shockwave. And over time, as the web evolved, these new formats were adopted by the community, in some cases formed the basis for open standards, and became an essential part of the web.

But as open standards like HTML5, WebGL and WebAssembly have matured over the past several years, most now provide many of the capabilities and functionalities that plugins pioneered and have become a viable alternative for content on the web. Over time, we’ve seen helper apps evolve to become plugins, and more recently, have seen many of these plugin capabilities get incorporated into open web standards. Today, most browser vendors are integrating capabilities once provided by plugins directly into browsers and deprecating plugins.

Given this progress, and in collaboration with several of our technology partners – including Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla – Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

Several industries and businesses have been built around Flash technology – including gaming, education and video – and we remain committed to supporting Flash through 2020, as customers and partners put their migration plans into place. Adobe will continue to support Flash on a number of major OSs and browsers that currently support Flash content through the planned EOL. This will include issuing regular security patches, maintaining OS and browser compatibility and adding features and capabilities as needed. We remain fully committed to working with partners, including Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla to maintain the security and compatibility of Flash content. [To see each partner’s announcement on this news, click on the links inside each partner name.] In addition, we plan to move more aggressively to EOL Flash in certain geographies where unlicensed and outdated versions of Flash Player are being distributed.

Adobe will also remain at the forefront of leading the development of new web standards and actively participate in their advancement. This includes continuing to contribute to the HTML5 standard and participating in the WebAssembly Community Group. And we’ll continue to provide best in class animation and video tools such as Animate CC, the premier web animation tool for developing HTML5 content, and Premiere Pro CC.

Looking ahead, Adobe will continue to provide the best tools and services for designers and developers to create amazing content for the web.

Other announcements in sync with this one

In case you still had a doubt on how big Flash is, tell me of any other tech that had an End Of Life announcements synched between all those big vendors ?

None, it only happened for Flash.

Btw, here also the twitter post from Adobe

Where you can see interesting replies

No impact. AIR apps written in AS3 will continue to run. ^Karen

and

This announcement only affects the flash plugin. @see: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2362234

and

There will be no impact to AIR runtime or SDK. ^Karen

So, yeah despite every fucking flash haters morons dancing right now, this does not mean the end of Adobe AIR nor ActionScript 3.0.

Few words on plans for Adobe AIR (from Chris Campbell): https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/air-roadmap-update

Let’s see how many people will rejoice about that news

so … top of Hacker News

in fact, it was shown like that for a short time but then it got corrected to

you can see the same unfair comments as you usually see in flash haters context …
some positive comments too

some wondering if Adobe will open source Flash …
I don’t think Adobe will do that but at this point anything can happen.

you missed the other thread AIR Roadmap Update

To me, this last news confirm my thougths about Adobe: A coward company.

Let’s see some reaction on the web

from washed out tech journalists

from blog posts

The blind hates that some people can have on the internet really disgust me,
I value the creators, the artists, the thinkers (out of the box), the tinkerers, …
all those people bring positive things

the haters are lazy bastards couch potatoes with a wife-beater attitude
and would just hit on any easy target for entertainment… fuck those guys!

Some time ago I posted this
Why You Should not Give a Fuck if Flash die in the Browser
and I think it is still valid today

If you were good at publishing SWF for the web, you now have to become good at publishing Adobe AIR for desktop, mobile, etc.

This has been coming for some time. I think Adobe tried to keep it with embedding the player in browsers (Edge, Chrome), but the tech cabal made their decision.

My guess
Facebook - Keep it
Microsoft - Didn’t care 1 way or the other
Google - Kill it
Apple - Kill it
Mozilla - Kill it

They are allowing AIR to stay, and we have been moving there for months so not a huge deal to me, but it was nice to have browsers in play for no cost.

Yeah probably, but at least we all know now how much full of shit all those browser vendors are.

All that is just land grab on the web platform, except the web platform is not what it once was.

Web is good for reach, not good for desktop quality apps.

Here a little list

• internet bandwidth
    if before size did matter, and why the flash plugin kept it small so long
    not anymore, ppl either have 4G or DSL, downloading a 50MB+ app is nothing
  • app installation
    if before it was kind of the wild wild west, now thanks to mobile
    we have tons of app store, and even “out of app store” apps need/should be signed.
  • HTML5 failed on app delivery
    web apps are simply not like desktop/mobile apps,
    you can do some stuff as “merely interactive forms”
    but you are severely limited in what you can do
  • browser vendors are assholes
    they did not get it the first time in the 90s with the Netscape vs Internet Explorer war
    and they still not get it today, they live in their little dream cloud thinking everything (and especially apps) can only be on the web and they are wrong.

Make no mistake, you can have good and legitimate apps on the web, but because the tech is so limited, it make web apps as the worst simplest common denominator which basically kill any kind of creativity.

For me the web wasn’t the ultimate goal, but not having to install an app to do something and at the time it was the ultimate cross compile. App installation is so common (and easy) now nobody thinks about it anymore.

I think AIR is still the best as far as write once and install multiple. I am hoping this move puts more effort into AIR to make it even better.

a bit more blog posts gathered

and yet another post from Google

and it’s on that later post that I will make few comments

Warning: I gonna rant quite heavily

here it goes

This morning, Adobe announced their plans to end support for Flash in late 2020. For Flash developers this will mean transitioning to HTML, as Chrome will increasingly require explicit permission from users to run Flash content until support is removed completely at the end of 2020.

That’s what I’m talking about when I say Google lives in their own little bubble
eg. this “For Flash developers this will mean transitioning to HTML”

That’s it, no other choices, no other alternative, the “move everything to HTML” is the new borg

Not that I say the HTML should die, but when Google tell you “now you have to move to HTML”
they are not really thinking about the good old static HTML page, they are meaning “build your apps in HTML5”

Bruce Lawson explains it clearly in his post

HTML5 was set up by browser vendors explicitly “in direct competition with other technologies intended for applications deployed over the Web, in particular Flash and Silverlight” and stole features directly from Flash: video, scriptable images (), Web Sockets, in-browser storage, access to camera and microphone … the list goes on. Indeed, many of the early polyfills and fallbacks for these features used Flash. Apple invented CSS transitions and keyframe animations because they needed them on iOS, where they wouldn’t allow Flash to be.

and then on the google post they follow with

HTML is faster, safer, and more power efficient than Flash and works across desktop and mobile. Three years ago, over 80% of Chrome daily desktop users visited sites with Flash. Today only 17% of users visit sites with Flash and we’re continuing to see a downward trend as sites move to HTML.

Well… off course you dummy, Google kind of own a big browser, so in order to put HTML5 up-front and compete with Flash, hey lets block the Flash plugin and force altogether its worldwide usage to spiral down.

The irony is that everything that is reproached to Flash is in big part the fault of Google,
the advertising, the advertising networks that vehiculate malware, etc.

It’s not the Flash games that you can find on kongregate, armorgames, miniclip, newgrounds, etc. that serve malware to their users, it is the freaking ads, the same way Google failed to control which ads are displayed next to your content (see Why we’re dropping Google Ads) they also failed to scan and detect malware in those ads.

But hey let’s blame Flash for that and claim that HTML is “safer” and while we are it let’s shove tons of HTML5 auto-play videos in your face, more money for us!!

Fucking hypocritical assholes…

And they are here with a straight face trying to sell you that as “oh you know we detected some downward trend in the usage of Flash, it’s not hype anymore, you should switch to HTML”

Oh look kids here a nice graphic (Hi kids! Do you like violence? (yeah yeah))

let’s not mention the time when the Flash Player plugin had a reach of well over 90% in every browser out there when it was not even distributed with the browsers, can you imagine that users wanted so much the plugin they went and downloaded and installed it themselves … crazy :fearful:

But no worries, Google took good care of that, they used the Trojan horse strategy, hey kid let us embed the Flash plugin for you in our browser, that’s more convenient for you right ? not even need to go out there and download it.

And then, hey let’s block this plugin and tell you instead to

We strongly encourage sites that still rely on Flash to make the move to HTML as there will be an increasing number of restrictions on Flash leading up to the end of support

Man… that’s the very same strategy as the mafia coming to your little store and heavily suggesting you give them a little red envelop full of money every month, you know … for protection.

So for every SWF content out there, that already works, that is already heavily consumed by users, that does not vehiculate virus nor malware … oh oh oh hey here some links so you can rebuild everything or … die

Pay your protection money, convert to HTML5 or else …

We recognize that any transition can have challenges …

hypocrisy at its highest

Let’s just hope that by 2020 HTML5 would have really caught up otherwise all that nice shiny funny interactive content will probably find another plane to expand.