From Flash to the Moon and back

I was using Flash / ActionScript3 for a long time and can only complain now about how HTML5 not good enough for this replacement. Issue with JavaScript compatibility across browsers and its own versions simply making developed rich media content lifetime limited to next major browser release. With Flash, even my few years old projects still working without any issues. It really helps, when you want focus only on development and not to worry about Flash player updates.

So now we have situation when browsers will no longer be suitable for Flash and only AIR option left for developers.

I am testing idea of using Lua language as ActionScript replacement but adding similar Flash like functionality to it. stage, stage3D, bitmapdata, limited events support, Away3D, etc. You can try this project https://scormpool.com/luastudio by yourself.

Do you think Flash disappearance will spark new wave of attempts to replace it on something similar, but maybe with some new features and options? Let me know what actionscript developers think about future potential replacements?

WTF ?

I don’t give a flying fuck
this is a forum about ActionScript 3.0

you’re confusing Flash, AIR and ActionScript

Flash disappearance, sure, it involves only the browser

that does not imply AIR disappearance nor ActionScript disappearance

so

LuaStudio - cross-platform software development tool, primarily focusing on providing access for developers to computer graphics from Lua programming language.

why would anyone switch from AS3/AIR to Lua/LuaStudio ?

I don’t give a flying fuck
this is a forum about ActionScript 3.0

Well, check this: Learning from Failures
“now let’s talk about programming languages and how it can influence failure.”
Yours? Only actionscript? except for you of course :slight_smile:

Flash disappearance, sure, it involves only the browser
that does not imply AIR disappearance nor ActionScript disappearance

Many developers using ActionScript because of Flash and not AIR. Right?
And you think removing Flash not impact ActionScript and in general in AIR,reducing number of involved developers

why would anyone switch from AS3/AIR to Lua/LuaStudio ?

I don’t think any one need to switch to LuaStudio from AS3
My words:

I am testing idea of using Lua language as ActionScript replacement …

I need this because I cant relay on ActionScript anymore, because part of its ecosystem can be easily deprecated. And I am looking for solutions. For example with deprecation provide developers option to compile ActionScript to JavaScript for HTML5. It wasn’t been done, which throws actionscript developers to solve it some how on their own way.

Had interest to hear something clever from actionscript developers on topic of how to make actionscript back again using different ideas from other languages and approaches. Check title closely: “From Flash to the Moon and back

yes where I mention C++ vs AS3

no wonders it took 3 years, C++ is harder and will make you slower by default

3 years? wow, how about in 3 months using AS3/AIR ?

it is about focus on what you try to do, if you want to build a game, spending 2,5 years in C++ re-inventing what is already available in AIR is maybe not the best use of your time

and I got opposite examples too, still I would say 3 years is a long time to waste

it doesn’t really
when you already built apps with ActionScript, your reusable knowledge is ActionScript

even if you spend 10 years of your career writing games in Flash for the browser,
when Flash is gone, the easiest way to pivot is to reuse that ActionScript knowledge
and produce games with AIR, instead of Flash

the amount of other developers doing it does not really matters
you don’t build better apps because 10000 other guys try to do the same with the same tech

that’s where I disagree, you can totally rely on ActionScript
the only thing that change is relying on Flash as a runtime to deliver your app for the browser

it is the classic “because Flash is dead, then ActionScript is dead” logic
that I argued many times, it is just tiring

once upon a time you had Java applets running in the browsers,
and suddenly it was a big security risk and all browsers killed Java in the browser

and yet Java as a programming language is still here, and you can still build apps with it

ok fine your focus is only on building apps that run in the browser, OMG only the browser, that is the only thing that exists, everything else is shit …blah blah fucking blah

and that LuaStudio thing? does it target the browser ?
nope it doesn’t

so WTF?

now if your only problem is to compile ActionScript to JavaScript
it is already there and it is called Apache Royale

the way people were building apps/games in Flash while publishing it to the browser is gone

it is not only a problem of ActionScript
there is the Flash API and there is the Flash rendering engine

you still have those (and more) in AIR

even if LuaStudio provide some sort of Flash API,
the GUI rendering engine is probably not as good as Flash
it does not provide a browser target and force you to change your code from ActionScript to Lua
so I really don’t see how it can help

A post was split to a new topic: Behavioral expert needed