How do I get old Flash CS3 to recognize new AS3 commands like removeChildren that comes after it?

How do I get CS3 to recognize the new removeChildren and JSON API that come after it ? Is updating playerglobal.swc the key ?

If you want to make Flash CS3 target higher - you need to set an XML for the desired FlashPlayer/AIR version in Common/Configuration/Players/, assuming you have the correct playerglobal.swc put in separate folder at Common/Configuration/ActionScript 3.0/ as well as replaced the FlashPlayer.exe and FlashPlayerDebugger.exe in Players/ with latest ones to be able to test in the authoring environment. Let me know if that is your intention and I will help you set the xml.

Yes, that would be nice because the whole point of upgrading is to get Flash CS3 to recognise removeChildren& native JSON support. CS3 keeps on saying removeChildren() not recognized because this API was implemented in further versions.

If you have the means to make CS3 recognise the keywords and compile, that would be cool.

Wouldn’t be using using AIR, will be targeting the good old Flash Stand Alone Projector without all the crap files that an AIR project will give you.

OK, here is how to add new publish Target in Flash, for example lets set Flash Player 27:

1. Create a FP27/ folder in Common/Configuration/ActionScript 3.0/ and put there a playerglobal.swc - here is a download link: Flash Player 27 from helpx.adobe.com

2. In Common/Configuration/Players/ duplicate an old XML, maybe you have FlashPlayer10_3.xml and change it to FlashPlayer27.xml. Inside change all occurrences of “10.3” with “27”. Change the tag’s version attribute to 38, example:
    <player id="FlashPlayer27" version="38" asversion="3">

3. In Players/ and Players/Debug/ archivate FlashPlayer.exe and FlashPlayerDebugger.exe respectively, so you’ll have a backup of those files just in case, as you’re gonna overwrite them with recent ones obtained from www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/. Download and use Flash Player projector and Flash Player projector content debugger.

If I’m not missing something, a new Target must appear in the drop-down in your Flash Publish Settings.

1. CS3 is super old
  2. Standalone projector and AIR, not the same thing
  3. if you learn to compile on the command line
    you can manage this kind of versioning much more easily

“all the crap files”, as you say, allow AIR to do stuff the standalone projector can not even dream of

I dream of…a single clean *.exe file.

Macromedia went the right direction with a single projector until Adobe come along and F it up with that whole flex thing which they later abandoned F-ing up Flash in the process.

In the end who is left saving Flash ?
The original designers whom Adobe F and in A, the so call “programmers” Adobe tried to please left them long ago the minute they could those ungrateful elite bastard, Adobe tried to please the wrong crowd and betrayed the original interactive designer fanbase.

Adobe later apologized by bringing back the “feature” that they originally disabled which is to allow the ability to create Projector again so don’t tell me Projector is not a thing people want…

In Flash AS3, the “playerglobal.swc” is in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0\Classes
I have replaced it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Players
Only contains: FlashLite1_0.xml, FlashLite1_1.xml, FlashLite2_0.xml, FlashLite2_1.xml & FlashLite3_0.xml.
There isn’t a “FlashPlayer10_3.xml” or “FlashPlay ANYTHING.XML” :frowning:
Is it too old to update ? :frowning:

Ahh, apparently Flash CS3 has way different directory structure, the method I explained works for CS5.5 and CS6. I’m not sure if it’s possible to upgrade CS3 at all, if you have replaced the swc I guess the program is not publishing correctly anymore - that’s because the runtime version number is mismatch and I don’t know if it’s possible to change it, or it’s hard-coded. As @zwetan said CS3 is super old and you may be out of luck with it.

I have downloaded the latest playerglobal.swc from:
https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/playerglobal/playerglobal32_0.swc

Yes, I understand - I’m referring to the runtime version number that needs to be updated somewhere in a settings file, and I’m not sure if it’s possible at all - Flash CS3 uses flash player/runtime 9, while playerglobal32’s runtime is 43 - it’s more of a decade of difference. In later versions of Flash, CS6 for example could be set to use your playerglobal32_0.swc through an XML with <player id="FlashPlayer32" version="43" asversion="3">… I think CS3 has no such capabilities.

That makes me sad…
Thanks anyway, you have been very kind @foumart.