How to run Adobe AIR on a board: "Raspberry Pi"?

:slight_smile: Hello friends,

Is it possible to use the Adobe AIR 2.6 for Linux plugin on a board: Raspberry Pi 3 B - “Raspbian”?

Is it possible to run an “.air” file or an “AIR for Windows” file on a Raspberry Pi 3 B board - if I use the “Windows ioT” system?

If I save my final file in the “.apk” format is it possible to install it on a Raspberry Pi 3 B board with another of the operating systems available in the NOOBS options?

Thank you so much!

PS.: I saw this old Flash-related video:

• Does the same procedure also apply to Adobe AIR?
  • Installing the Flash plugin can I run .swf files outside the browser within the Raspbian system?

No

Adobe AIR 2.6 for Linux is made for x86 32-bit CPU
and Raspberry Pi 3 B use an ARM CPU

and there is no Adobe AIR or Flash Player that officially support an ARM CPU

basically same answer: no
for the same reason: not the same CPU architecture

nope, not for AIR

yes, but you should know what you’re getting into

so the general story is that there are no Flash players for ARM CPU
but … with Chrome OS, you can find a Flash Player that is compiled for ARM CPU

the idea is to follow this
[Tutorial] - Extract pepper flash plugin v.20.0.0.228-r1 and above from Samsung Chromebook 2 13 recovery image

in short, first download a Chrome OS recovery file
$ wget https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chromeos/recovery/recovery.conf

then inside that recovery.conf search for a Chrome OS that is known to run on ARM CPU, for ex: Samsung Chromebook 2 13"

eg.

name=Samsung Chromebook 2 13"
version=12105.100.0
desc=
channel=stable-channel
hwidmatch=^PI .*
hwid=
md5=9f00f1c84a1d89542c938d11c1179d20
sha1=193540d76b22b107300e9de875538d30f0c63bc0
zipfilesize=610033573
file=chromeos_12105.100.0_peach-pi_recovery_stable-channel_pi-mp-v2.bin
filesize=1539334144
url=https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chromeos/recovery/chromeos_12105.100.0_peach-pi_recovery_stable-channel_pi-mp-v2.bin.zip

and then download that Chrome OS image
$ wget https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chromeos/recovery/chromeos_12105.100.0_peach-pi_recovery_stable-channel_pi-mp-v2.bin.zip

then mount that image and retrieve the files from /opt/google/chrome/pepper

I really advise to not download the file from http://www.novaspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/flash21.tar.xz, first it is only Flash v21 and second it could have been modified to do nasty things

now, you can still see a problem, a Flash Player for ARM does exists but only distributed with Chrome OS, and so legally you can not distribute it yourself

1 Like

also found this that might be interesting for you

Fetches a ChromeOS image for ARM and extracts the Widevine and Flash binaries, saving them in a compressed archive

side note: be careful a Chrome OS image is easily ~1.5GB big

1 Like

I have researched many things here, with the intention of finding a solution that is viable. But I still don’t know what to do.

I also saw this information:
https://ownyourbits.com/2018/06/27/running-and-building-arm-docker-containers-in-x86/

• But if I have to switch to Chrome OS, I think I will have problems with other applications. I prefer to avoid.

Thank You.

you don’t have to switch to Chrome OS, you just need it to extract the libpepflashplayer.so compiled for ARM CPU so you can reuse it on another OS running on ARM CPU like Raspbian

so it would work for personal projects, experiments and other non-commercial things

but if you do plan to distribute an app that rely on that, you can’t rely on that as you do not have redistribution rights for the libpepflashplayer.so

now for alternatives, supposed you want your main OS to run on ARM CPU

anyway, here the problem

• either you find a flash player / AIR that can run on ARM
  • or you emulate x86 exe so they can run on ARM

it is about the CPU architecture supported and ARM is a niche

see old #redtamarin post Supporting ARM or not
the part where I list x86 clones

All that being said I like Raspberry Pi, I have plenty of fun compiling C for it, and on Arduino too
but if I had to run an application like AIR or Redtamarin, I would go directly with a x86 clone

sure Raspberry Pi is cheap at ~$20 a card, but I can not justify software development cost when a x86 clone cost $100 or so

1 Like

“libpepflashplayer.so” - no redistribution rights;
ExaGear - it is not free;
Wine - apparently has a slow performance;

Complicated! :pensive:
But, I really appreciate your attention and guidance.
Thanks again.

It’s too bad that it’s not easy to have AIR on a pie.

I had success running an Android emulator on Linux that then ran AIR inside the emulator. This was on Linux though, not raspberry pi. The different CPU architecture might still mess up everything.

Another option could be instead of using a raspberry pi screen, add in an Android device to be the user interface. It’s more work and more expensive to do but it will be a nice product.

1 Like

well to be honest Raspberry Pi make you think it is easy and cheap
but it is not

sure the price starts at $20, that’s pretty cheap
but if your need is to display things on screen you gonna need RAM
and if you want to play video full screen a CPU that support hardware acceleration

in that case I would say Raspberry Pi is a PITA

I would not run anything multimedia on it, I would not run a server on it either

for those kind of things I would advice a NUC or something running on good old Intel CPU and 1GB RAM or more, that’s the difference between $20 and $200 hardware price