How to set up a Subscription for an iOS App?

Has anyone implemented an Auto-renewable subscription in their iOS app with Adobe Air?

A couple of years ago I released an app with an unlockable auto-newable in app purchase.

At first it seemed too easy… but then I realised that the process was far more complex because you need a server to check the user’s receipt.

Without this backend work it meant that once my app was unlocked for the user’s trial period - after that it would be permanently unlocked. Or the user could cancel and just continue using the unlocked app.

Is there any online service that does this to help me to do this part. I’m using Animate + Air and would need to integrate that part. I imagine the steps are like this, but please explain if you’ve done this in your app:

STEPS TO SET UP A SUBSCRIPTION IN AN iOS APP

1. Set up an Auto-Renewable subscription in-app purchase on Appstore Connect

2. Design your app with locked / unlocked content

3. The user opens the app > a function is called to check the user’s current paid status > paid or expired

4. The call is sent to a server to check the user’s receipt is valid? (Please explain how long this step would take to code, and monthly costs to rent a server)

5. if the receipt is valid > unlock app / if not lock it

And for anyone who’s done this - how reliable is your subscription? Have you had any problems / angry customers who can’t unlock their app?!

Just wondering if it’s worth it for the setup cost, monthly server rental and revenue.

Thanks,
Matt

you have services like RevenueCat

humm you’re asking too much here

look at open source project like aporat/store-receipt-validator
and you can figure out yourself how much it will cost to install/rent/etc.

it would be different for anyone, different people have different needs

you can also search for the topic receipt-validation on Github
https://github.com/topics/receipt-validation

Ultimately you should read

in short, if you don’t want to program the server-side and/or host it and/or not sure what all that would involve, find a service like RevenueCat to do it for you, eg. free for $10,000 MTR should be more than enough

Thanks very much for this info Zwetan, I’ll have a look at RevenueCat and will report back if I use it / get it to work.

I can’t see an Adobe Air SDK on their list, but I did a search for Adobe Air on the site and it led to a Question from a guy called Andrew who appeared to be using the ‘REST API’

I personally never used RevenueCat but from scrolling their docs quickly
they do a bit more than just the ticket-receipt validation

so at minimum you use the standard in-app purchase with an ANE + a call to their REST API for the extras features

or if big usage planed of their services planed maybe do an ANE with their SDK which is basically a wrapper around the in-app purchase, but then with added features like tracking etc.

my guess is for basic usage and/or for testing the water the first case is enough
YMMV