Is iOS 13.0 SDK supported by Adobe AIR?

So I’m still on AIR 32.0 since I haven’t released any new apps that require the HARMAN version yet.

However, as I was releasing an update for some of my existing apps, I saw a warning, saying that from April 2020 onwards, apps will need to be compiled with iOS 13.0 SDK.

Does the HARMAN version use iOS 13.0 SDK yet? I haven’t seen anything related to that in the release notes, but I guess it probably does? Otherwise there would probably be a storm brewing in these forums right now.

(Sorry if this has been adressed at some point in the past, I couldn’t find anything relevant despite a few searches. And I haven’t been following Adobe AIR news for a while since I’m not actually using it for any new projects, but the old apps still need maintenance from time to time.)

“as is” I would say it does not support it completely yet

but then your best bet is to use the Harman AIRSDK and report issues to them

a quick search for “iOS 13” bring some issues

you will see @ajwfrost answer most of them
so my guess is that Harman is working on supporting iOS 13

also in the release notes you can see

iPhoneOS SDK Version: 13.2
iPhoneSimulator SDK Version: 13.2

so yeah they do use the iOS 13 SDK

but you can also read

10 iOS support

For deployment of AIR apps on iOS devices, the AIR Developer Tool will use the provided tools to extract the ActionScript Byte Code from the SWF files, and compile this into machine code that is then linked with the AIR runtime and embedded into the IPA file. The process of ahead-of-time compilation depends upon a utility that has to run with the same processor address size as the target architecture: hence to generate a 32-bit output file, it needs to run a 32-bit compilation process. This causes a problem on MacOS Catalina where 32-bit binaries will not run.

For this reason, it is not possible to create a universal binary (embedding both 32-bit and 64-bit ARM code) using MacOS Catalina (10.15) or later. The tools will only run the 64-bit version and the IPA files will be limited such that they only install onto 64-bit devices. To summarise the process/requirements:

• Using MacOS versions up to and including 10.14, an IPA will be created that contains a universal binary with both 32-bit and 64-bit code in it. This can be installed onto older iOS devices that do not support 64-bit, as well as newer devices.

• Using MacOS 10.15 upwards, with the restriction where we cannot run 32-bit executables, the IPA file will only contain the 64-bit code. These IPA files can only be installed onto 64-bit devices; there is an updated device requirements setting that is added automatically into the Info.plist file in this case.

• Using Windows, developers can continue to support 32-bit and 64-bit generation as before.

so be careful about that too

As always I will advise to actually do the tests instead of guessing around etc.

just test it with code, either it works and you’re good to go, if not you got somewhere where you can report issues

spending too much time “I wonder if …” is a waste a of time imho

2 Likes

Hi folks, can any Mac users on Catalina give me the latest info about uploading to iOS (supporting iOS 13 SDK which is needed after April)?

It doesn’t sound like 33.1.1.63 has fixed the problem of ipa files not installing on devices with iOS 13.

I currently use 33.0.2.338 to both test and upload to Apple, but this will soon be blocked.

I also have 33.1.0.50 (it’s always a pain to install a new version, so I will only get a new version when it really is worth it!)

Anyone use this version on iOS and is it stable? Seen it working on an iOS device? And can it be uploaded to Apple?

Thanks,
Matt

I confirm that 33.1.0.50 will not be valid for iOS upload from April - it also give the API error

And the release notes for 33.1.1.63 also say that this still need to be fixed, so I’ll contact Harman.

This release should provide more stability although there are a number of issues that are still outstanding that the team are working on with priority:- Continued problems with device connectivity, installing IPA files to iOS devices etc- Some impact to stage size following splash screen display- UIWebView API removal for iOS- Swift ANE support- iOS simulator issues

“UIWebView API” is the thing that Apple is blocking

can you try to force
-platformsdk /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS13.0.sdk ?

this looks like command line to me… I just use Animate to publish. The Harman team are working on an update. Just hope it’s ready some time next week…

2 Likes

Hello flashmatt. Even if you use Animate, I recommend you to compile using command line. Animate is often outdated respective to the functionalities in Adobe AIR, and editing your manifest file manually gives you more possibilities than Animate’s AIR Settings window.

Learn how to use ADT (included with AIR SDK) here:
https://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666ade46-7fd9.html

Then, you can create a .jsfl file like this to compile to SWF in Animate before using ADT:
fl.openDocument(‘file:///path/to/your/animate_file.fla’);
fl.getDocumentDOM().exportSWF(‘file:///path/to/your/compiled.swf’);

You can mix both to automate the process (run the .jsfl then adt)

1 Like

Thanks omolano, I’ll take a look, because one day I hoped to be able to make Desktop software. But the guide for doing that is a major challenge - I would have to be at genius level!

Update on a recent build that I uploaded for a NEW app - Apple have given us (and Harman) more time for SDKs with iOS 12 for new apps. Until April 30th. Good news

Just a quick update: they pushed the date to June 30 because of the current situation. That gives us a bit more time to adjust…

That June 30th date was for ‘updates to existing apps’, but this error mentions ‘new’ iOS apps…

The latest AIR 33 is using iOS 13, you can also force the platform SDK to be iOS 13 even with AIR 32. We did this for an app last year.

3 Likes

hello could you please detail:
1/ where to find the iOS SDK 13
2/ how to force it?
Many thanks.

You get the iOS SDK from an Xcode installation and use the -platformsdk option when packaging your AIR application using ADT. Most of the main IDEs provide an option for this:

https://airnativeextensions.github.io/tutorials/ios-sdk-custom

2 Likes

thanks for your answer!
We are currently updating an AIR 26 game. On Android everything was fine with AIR 33. On iOS we compile an .ipa but it can’t be installed. After some investigation I found out that icons have to be wrapped in an ‘assets.car’ file and that there are also some new requirements regarding launch images. Do you think of something else we should know in that process (AIR 26 -> 33)? Thanks!

There are probably a series of things, new usage description strings comes to mind, for your infoadditions depending on what device functionality you are using.

Icons: https://airnativeextensions.github.io/tutorials/ios-icons-assets-car

You might want to check your application on devices with notches as you need to handle rendering around the notch.

2 Likes

we have checked everything like 10 times but the .ipa does not install on the devices! We are close to becoming crazy! I have discovered we know each other on Twitter and I have sent you a PM ^-^

Check the logs on the device, normally there is a reason for the installation failure posted there.

https://airnativeextensions.github.io/tutorials/device-logs

1 Like

have you checked the status of your iOS SDK license ?

1 Like