The 64-bit requirement on play store

How does this affect current and future adobe air apps on google play? I cannot find anything official from Adobe…

the deadline is August 2019, by then Adobe will have updated AIR to be able to publish 64-bit Android apps.

If you see the AIR releases history, it’s predictable that AIR 64-bit for Android will be released just before the dead line.
It’s not a huge problem, because the 32 bits will not disappears from the night to day.
You simple cannot release new apps and updates in 32 bits mode, so just update AIR and you will be ready to go.

If there is any guarantee or at least confirm: No and this is the reason why people are freaking out.

Every quarter Adobe release a new update (based on updates history of the last years) but without any roadmap (the last one have now a few years).

Well to honest, the lack of any official info about it, worried me…

EDIT: Also, I suppose it could be possible to get a time extension, like unity got…

Also look at the historic of AIR updates

they did not have huge issues to update to iOS 64-bit, same for Windows 64-bit
I doubt Android 64-bit would create “impossible problem to solve”

Indeed,

Let’s be honest, their communication is the worst I know so far.
However, their frequently updates (important or not) are delivery.
iOS faced the same issue and was fixed in time.
Windows 64 bits the same even without a store demanding a date. Important but without a dead line.

However, yes, the lack of official statement it’s an issue and it’s the reason why many abandon AIR.
It’s not a technology issue, AIR kick ass of many other solutions BUT mobile demands a different approach.

I saw this in an animate cc facebook group.

Is that true?

Was really and still am worried about this ,until I started peeping at Xamarin :sweat_smile::man_facepalming:t5:

Really !
Me too.

I spent the last days studying Xamarin after decided to go for it and next month I will start recreating a Flex/AIR App with Xamarin.

I will continue using AIR but now exclusively for desktop Windows and macOS.

Please, do tell us after a month or so of recreating an app with Xamarin how good/bad it goes.

Yes, of course, no problem.

I will not do a clone of my App (it’s not that the goal).
It’s a small App (so, it’s good to start on a new environment where I don’t have previous experience besides C#).

I will instead create a new App with the same features (for starting), with a new layout but the essence will be the same.

After that I will have a better impression about it.
The good and the bad.

Sounds amazing , can’t wait to see it , I have no idea how you could use the two ,maybe you could shed some light on the process when you are at a comfortable place during the development …Come to think of it associating As3 with other technologies apart from mobile really frees you from viewing the wall …I have been researching on computational vision and there are some projection mapping projects where they use As3 (flash) making projected mapped games hahah really cool …

I found this at adobe forums (here is the link to the post)

5. [Re: Air Android >architecture]>(https://forums.adobe.com/message/10860782#10860782)

rewb0rn Level 3

rewb0rn Jan 10, 2019 5:46 AM (in response to rewb0rn)

Good news, I received a reply to my email: Adobe is aware of the requirement and is working towards a solution. This is speculation on my part but I would expect more details in the next SDK beta release.

7. Re: Air Android architecture

rewb0rn Level 3

rewb0rn Jan 10, 2019 11:56 AM (in response to phillipkerman)

Adobe said they are aware of the requirement and are working towards a solution. I speculate that we will have more official details on this with the upcoming Air 33 beta. Sorry for the confusion

So I suppose, now we can all feel relieved…

I never doubted.
The probabilities were always that.

When there is a plan, people usually act normally.
On this case there is a plan from Google Play (pull the plug from 32 bits) but there was no officially plan from Adobe even with months ahead and people react on base of that.

When AIR 64 bits for Android appears on labs, I bet that almost people that are evaluating other options will go back to AIR in a blink of the eyes because this is where they feel comfortable/secure.

For me AIR 64 bits for Android is irrelevant now.

AIR it’s the most productivity runtime but on mobile space it’s very risky besides on my case my Apps can be built with other runtimes.
Are simple forms (pure App) that don’t demand so much for a runtime.