The BMovieClip project

Greetings to community,

I am using flash primary as an animator and I develop mobile games to support my animated series. Well, I do not want to to abuse the term “develop”, so I am making clear now, that I am not at any chance an AS3 expert. Actually I am a beginner with only about a year of AS3 and programming experience in general.

I really like the way flash content was at the ‘old days’, when you had the amazing WYSIWYG intuitive experience. Is the fastest and best way to deploy games with rich and complex animations.

Unfortunately, the 'old days" workflow is not viable anymore. Mobiĺe devices need GPU acceleration for decent performance and fps. Therefore we need to deploy raster graphic, at various sizes, to cover large amound of screens.

So I decided to cover my workflow needs and started developing a tool, that will allow me to convert my native MovieClips into raster graphics dynamically at runtime. I call it BMovieClip from Bitmap MovieClip.

This project for sure is very ambitious for my programming skills, but so far the initial working version looks like that is working well at my testings. I am sure will ask for help here many times and that this project will make me a better programmer.

The project is free and of course, open source. You can find the repository here.

Feel free to contribute if you wish and I am very open to any suggestion, feedback and help.

Thank you for your time for reading this post, and thank you in advance fellow AS3lang community, for your possible interest to help or contribute at any way.

PS. Not proud to show my code in public. I feel embarrassed… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No need to be, what is useful to you can be useful to someone else and you give it away for free

Couple of suggestions

• maybe provide one or two examples, the classic “how to use it”
  • maybe spend a bit of time describing the workflow on a wiki page

other things as I see you use a ChangeLog.md

• maybe get a look at Semantic Versioning
  • maybe get a look at keep a changelog
  • maybe publish a zip of the documentation (are you using asdoc?)
  • if you can, try to publish in releases the corresponding version of your library

about doc, for ex in BMovieClip.as
usually you would keep the licensing/copyright outside of the asdoc comments

see for example AnalyticsTracker.as

It’s not that important, you can do however you see fit, pretty sure you already looked at semver and keep a changelog, just sending basic infos your way in case of you did not already knew them

Thank you for you suggestions! This is my first repository that I maintain, so every bit of advice is more than welcome.

I intend to write a better readme file with examples. About licensing, you are right, I will follow your advice.

I was not aware about Semantic Versioning, so now I will try to get along with it.

About asdoc, the automated build from Flash Develop, uses it, and it puts it inside the swc file as several xml files. If you can point me to right direction how to uses those xml files to publish a zip of the documentation, and how to make it accessible in general, I will highly appreciate it…

you already do in the build.xml

but it looks like you generating the doc only to zip it in the SWC

it is OK to generate a “fat SWC” but if people do not have the tools or IDE to read the doc from the SWC they simply can not access the doc

comment out the part that delete the directory

<delete dir="lib/tempDoc" />

and there you should see html files

I did it but no html files, only xml and a single package.dita

change skip-xsl="true" to false

see this old blog post Use ASDoc to drive new processes

eg.

Here are some undocumented command-line parameters you can use with the ASDoc tool to make it even more useful.

-keep-xml

ASDoc initially generates an XML file that contains all the metadata and documentation comments from your code. Then it applies XSL stylesheets to that XML to generate all that attractively formatted HTML output. Then it deletes the interim XML file.

If you use the -keep-xml option though it will save the interim XML file, which is named toplevel_classes.xml. The data in this file can be amazingly useful. We have used it many ways at Adobe, including:

• Converting to XMI files for input to UML modeling tools
  • Generating code colorizing and hinting files for Flash 9
  • Generating test scripts
  • Experimenting with Flex-based documentation browsers

Even if your source code has no comments all the basic structural information about your code, covering things like packages, classes, methods, properties, and events, is output to the toplevel_classes.xml file as nice, structured XML.

-skip-xsl

The -skip-xsl parameter stops the ASDoc process before it generates the HTML output. It goes hand in hand with the -keep-xml parameter. When you use them in combination ASDoc will generate the toplevel_classes.xml file and then stop. This parameter isn’t necessary, but it speeds up the build process if you don’t care about generating the HTML.

so yeah OK asdoc got few undocumented things (in fact many) but still it is quite adapted and powerful for AS3 doc generation, in fact with those toplevel_classes.xml files and a tool like redtamarin you can do quite much more :wink:

anyway don’t hesitate to ask stuff about asdoc, among other stuff I write a small book about using asdoc and all the undocumented stuff, and/or writing docs for AS3 projects in general.

For one more time Very detailed answer. Thank you!