The First Things I Learned as a Developer

My very first gig as a dev, and dev being a big word because I was literally not knowing WTF I was doing, was basically updating Perl scripts running as cgi-bin.

Yep, that is old, that was 1995.

So in that very different world without stackoverflow, without google etc.
usually people were using books to learn stuff, and so I had a book about Perl (not sure what title etc.)

and in this book I read those things

there are three great virtues of a programmer ; Laziness, Impatience and Hubris

1. Laziness : The quality that makes you go to great effort to reduce overall energy expenditure. It makes you write labor-saving programs that other people will find useful and document what you wrote so you don’t have to answer so many questions about it.

2. Impatience : The anger you feel when the computer is being lazy. This makes you write programs that don’t just react to your needs, but actually anticipate them. Or at least pretend to.

3. Hubris : The quality that makes you write (and maintain) programs that other people won’t want to say bad things about.

I did not applied those principles right away in my feeble attempt at working with Perl, it was more failing a lot and finally having it work, wondering in stupor why it was working in the first place.

me in '95
dogo

But those “little things”, great piece of wisdom, influenced me tremendously for the following years till today.

So thank you Larry Wall, thank you for that camel book (and probably the 1st edition considering the timeline) that was laying around somewhere, thank you for whoever keep hosting that threevirtues.com.

Larry_Wall_YAPC_2007 Programming_Perl_4th_Ed_cover

Just to say

If you’re pretty new to that programming thing, don’t despair, find great people out there, get inspired, pursue your quest, it will get better.

If you’re pretty old to that programming thing, help, share, teach, mentor someone if you can.

4 Likes